Sunday, March 13, 2011

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Today was an interesting day. It started earlier than I was hoping with a cute little girl snuggling in bed with me (good:) and Spencer throwing up (bad). Cory had to be at his first meeting by 8 a.m. So I was on my own. And I knew I wouldn't be going to church and I was disappointed because it was the first day of our new ward and Cory was speaking in church with all the bishopric.
So my morning was full of yucky mom stuff like cleaning up throw up and poop. Good times! Then I find out I have a meeting with the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. I'm getting a calling. I'm thinking "please let it be a primary teacher or visiting teaching supervisor".
I was extended a call to be 2nd counselor in the Young Women's. When I heard those words I wanted to cry. I love young women's, but this was uncharted territory for me/us with Cory's calling.
Earlier in the week I was reading in Mosiah when Alma and his people were persecuted for doing what was right and for praying. If they were caught praying they would be put to death. To protect their lives they prayed to God in their hearts and he knew the thoughts of their hearts. They experienced much suffering and affliction. And the Lord knew of their pain.
The verse that I thought of today and one that I love is Mosiah 24:15:
"And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."
After receiving this call today I felt a heavy burden placed upon me and my family. All I could think about was the time away from my kids and the meetings and mutual night and girls camp and we are still going on trek.
Even though I couldn't go to church I had the opportunity of going to the church afterwards to be set apart with the rest of the young women's presidency. Cory set me apart which was very neat. I know this call comes from the Lord and he won't give me more than I can handle.
I know our burdens can be made light when we have faith in the Lord's plan. It does take patience and trusting in the Lord's timing. I'm so excited to get to know the other leaders and young women. It really is the best calling and I feel privileged to serve with these ladies. My feeling obviously changed throughout the day, which I hoped they would!
What did I say the other day? Out of the frying pan into the fire? Well, lets try "Out of the fire and into the burning inferno"!