Thursday, April 8, 2010

chicken pizza?

I meant to say Chitzen Itza. That was our destination. It's a hard name to remember so our tour guide told us the chicken pizza thing to help us remember. Which was nice for Cory:) We made a stop on the way there at a little strip mall of sorts. It had some stores and a place to get snacks. As you can see we got Doritos and a Milky Way. I'm just going to put this out there, the Doritos were spicy and delicious and the Milky Way was smashed. It looked as though it had been previously melted and sat on by a small child. I recommend buying vanilla in Mexico, but not chocolate candy bars. Oh, I did buy some peanut M&M's which are also safe to buy because of the thin candy shell that protects it from everything except a nuclear attack. We arrived via tour bus, which if I might add it was worth the extra $20 per person that we paid to have drinks and snacks served to us while on the 2 plus hour bus ride here. And we even got to watch an episode of Mr. Bean on the way home.....BONUS!


So here we are being herded like livestock to this ancient landmark. For a second I really felt at home like I was making my way into Coscto on a Saturday what with the large crowds and overwhelming smell of cheese. After and hour and a half of hearing from the tour guide we got to explore on our own for an hour. As of 3 years ago, they don't allow anyone up the steps because the lime stone is crumbling and it's sort of dangerous with the steps being so narrow.....bummer.
We stopped at this awesome "swimming hole" on the way back. I can't remember the name of it, but it was 95 steps down to get to. The water is 150 feet deep. There were tons of little catfish swimming with us, which was a little creepy. The water temp. was around 75 degrees which was perfect after walking around in the humid, hot weather. And in our case running at some point back to the bus. We tried to see too much in our hour of free time and that almost made us late getting back. Or I guess you could say we screwed around too much taking pictures like this. Cory secretly wishes he lived here. So I braved the jump. I'm not sure how high it was 20-25 feet maybe. It was high enough to scare me and upon impact my top came partially off...good times.