Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Did you think to pray?

Cory left for scout camp on Monday morning at 5:30 a.m. and me and the kids and dog left town to visit my parents around 11 a.m.

We stopped at Albertsons on our way out of town to get a couple things. We come out and get loaded up. Well I got in and turned the key and it wouldn't start....dead battery. Normally I would call Cory and he would come and rescue us, but he was at scout camp. Okay no big deal I can find someone to jump us. While I'm scanning the parking lot looking for a man that looks like he knows how to jump a battery Mataya is busy having a blowout. Nice timing! I find a nice guy and he helped us and off we went. I would've come back home to get the car to take, but now that we have 3 kids we can't fit in the car...especially not with a dog.

I wondered if I should leave town at all. After a few prayers I decided we would be okay and just keep heading out of town. We had to stop in Nephi to get gas and lunch. We made it through the drive through and then got gas. After filling up and getting the boys food situated, I got back in and.....dead battery. I had to wander around and asked about 4 people for help. Most people didn't have jumper cables so they couldn't help. And I didn't have any either so I had to rely on people a lot. Finally found a guy and he jumped it and off we went again. I figured we wouldn't have to stop again because we had gas and food and were less than 2 hours away. I considered turning around and coming home, but I really wanted my grammy and papa to meet little Mataya and I wanted to see my parents.

We get close to Gunnison and Mataya starts crying. She is hungry and we are still an hour away so I thought I better stop. We pull into a park and I leave the vehicle running and let the boys out to play while I feed her. Around 15 minutes later we were off again. Everything seems fine the engine is running. We pull up to the stop sign to pull out to the main road and we lose all power....totally dead. I couldn't even shift it into park. I'm on the verge of totally losing it at this point. I really did good so far I hadn't cried a whole up to this point. I decide to call my mom and tell her what is going on. She answers and asks me how I'm doing......and I lost it. I burst into tears. I was so frustrated and I just wanted to get there. It's enough stress to travel with 3 kids and a dog and add in car trouble and it's a bit much.

So my mom calls my younger sister's in-laws (they live right up the street from where we were stranded) to see if they could come and help me. In the meantime, I'm standing outside waiting to hear back from her. A few people drive by and give me a strange look and keep on going. Then a guy pulls up in a little car and asks if I need help. I told him I think there is someone on their way. He gets out to see if he has jumper cables....he doesn't. He walks over and offers to look and see if he can help. He pushes on one of the connectors to the battery and says, "Wow, that was really loose and I just pushed it back on, try starting it." I'm thinking there is no way it was that simple and it won't start. I sit down and turn the key and it fires right up! We were cheering and I was so happy it was something so simple. I was thinking it was a major problem or something. I thanked the man about 10 times and off he went.

We got going yet again. I called my mom and told her we were coming and I was sure we would make it this time. So a trip that would normally take 3 and 1/2 hours took us a mere 4 and 1/2 hours. (not too bad for car troubles and 3 kids)

Once we were on the road again Parker said to me, "Mom, I thought about saying a prayer and asking Heavenly Father for help." My heart melted. He is so sweet and I told him he could say a prayer out loud or quietly to himself whenever he wanted. He said, "Ya know like you can pray if you lose a toy." I told him I've been saying a lot of prayers....I mean A LOT! I also told him that man that stopped was an answer to my prayer!