Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm bugged...

I found out tonight that the H1N1 nasal swab test is 20-50% accurate. Um...okay?! Why even do the test? Parker, who is 5 and has asthma, "tested" positive for it Wednesday and two days of taking Tamiflu is fine. Why perform a test that is so inaccurate?

I got all this information from a doctor tonight that I went to see because I am sick. He said the only way to get accurate results is to send a sample to the C.D.C. (centers for disease control) and results can take 2 weeks to get back. And that test is only performed on people who are hospitalized for the flu.

I would normally "tough it out" because I'm so tough. (I really am ask my Dad:) But because we have a 4 month old it is a concern. So our primary goal at this point is to keep Mataya healthy (if we can). It is still likely that we have H1N1 present in our home because having the flu in October is unusual.

I'm bugged that there is a lame test that doesn't give good results. And that insurance companies and people without insurance can pay for something so useless....makes a lot of sense, right?!

I promise my next post will be more exciting, less passive aggressive, and include cute kiddo pics!

That is all....thanks for listening.