Thursday, January 21, 2010

so it's come to this.

I have found that as a mother it is my job to know where every single thing we own is at at any given moment. For example, Spencer will ask me where his tiny pirate sword it to his little pirate guy and expect me to know it's exact location. If I can't find it within 5 minutes of him requesting it then I have shamed him in some way. Although, I always seem to find what he is looking for so I can see why he comes to me in his time of need.
Now Cory is a different matter. I get questions such as: "where are my car keys?", "what happened to my black belt?", and my favorite "where is that little piece of paper that I wrote a phone number on last week?"...oh boy!
Now what is a mother to do when I can't find something of MINE? Who do I turn to for help? I do seek answers from all the people that live here, but they can't seem to help me. I ask them where something is and I get a blank stare and sometimes a look of total confusion. So I recently realized what I've been reduced to...
Dollar store, alligator scissors!
Really, shouldn't a mother's scissors be the one thing that is off limits? I once had a very nice pair that I kept in the kitchen when I needed to cut open a package of bacon or cut the top off a Gogurt that wouldn't cooperate. I remember my mom threatening bodily harm to anyone that cut anything made of metal with her "good" scissors! It's serious, people!
I'm considering getting a good pair and attaching them on the kitchen counter with a bank, pen chain so it will stay where it's supposed to.
A while ago, I bought a good set of metal measuring cups. I keep them in the knife drawer (which the kids know is off limits) so they are protected from being lost. The boys like to use measuring cups and fill them with snacks to enjoy which means they don't always get returned to the kitchen, which then means I try to make something and have to measure everything with an old 1/8 cup with a broken handle because I'm not in the mood to search the house for missing measuring cups.
Maybe if they found their way to the toy bin I would find them...