Monday, March 2, 2009

A call to school...

I found myself making a phone call to Parker's school today. I picked him up and after a lenghty conversation I discovered that he had been slapped in the face and chocked a couple of times throughout the morning by a boy that we will call "Chad". It was very upsetting to me to find out this had gone on. I asked Parker if the boy got in trouble and he told me he didn't he just got a "warning". This is the part that made me mad. In our house if there is any hitting or physical violence then it's an automatic timeout. So I would expect the same punishment at school for such behavior.

After talking to Cory and thinking about it I made a call to the school. I talked to the owner of the school who isn't his teacher, but she is there all the time. She said she had helped in the class that day and didn't see anything happen. She also guessed which boy was the trouble maker without me telling her. She assured me that they do not tolerate any of that kind of behavior. So after talking about it with her we came to the conclusion that the teacher didn't see it happen and no one told her it happened so little Chad got away with it. I felt better after talking to her and I'm glad that I called.

This was my first experience with making that call to the school as a concerned parent. I'm sure there will be more in my future.