Sunday, May 17, 2009

Just making it is half the battle

Just making it to church that is. Cory had a meeting at 8 this morning which left me flying solo getting the boys ready and out the door. We were rushing around and everything seemed to be going well when I made the mistake of running my wet hand through Spencer's hair in an attempt to spike it and put some hair stuff in it. His hair is cute and short and I wanted to spike it. What I didn't realize is that I opened Pandora's box of a 3 year old tantrum.

Spencer threw his church bag down the stairs spilling contents of dinosaur books, snacks, and a sippie cup. After I picked it up and headed out the door, I knew we could still make it on time. The screaming and crying continued all the way to church. We live maybe a block away so we always walk. Spencer begged and pleaded and cried for me to hold him the whole way. I am large and in charge with child so that was not going to happen, plus my own bag was unusually heavy and my bag carrier(Cory) wasn't with me this morning. He was already comfortably sitting in sacrament meeting waiting for us to show up.

I picked up Spenc right before we headed in the door so that the whole building wouldn't hear the screaming. He calmed down and we found Cory and sat down.

Sometimes you may sit in sacrament meeting and be so overwhelmed that the tears start to flow. Well that happened to me today and I'm sorry to say that is wasn't the spirit that moved me.

Ten minutes passed and I began to feel better. My kids weren't really feelin' the Parmesan Goldfish I brought so I helped my self. There's no shame in eating all of your kids snacks at church if you are a big prego right? I didn't think so.

I didn't even mind the fact that Spencer used my belly to play out a dinosaur battle where the triceratops reigned supreme and conquered the mountain (my belly).

I often breathe a sigh of relief when I sit down at church and I feel victorious because we "made it". And with 9 o'clock church it can be somewhat of a challenge. Making it there is half the battle, but one day in Primary about a month ago I was sitting with my class during closing exercises when I was hit in the side of the head with a bean bag. I looked around and easily spotted the culprut and all I could do was laugh. So there can be challenges at church as well. But I was undaunted because I knew I would be walking home shortly to a diet coke and a nap.

Feel free to share any crazy "trying to make it to church" stories. I know you all have them!